Attention everyone who watched Blackfish and was horrified by the cruelty!
It’s not just SeaWorld. ALL captive orca facilities need to be boycotted. Pictured above is every captive orca facility in the world. Allow me to elaborate about each. Going from top to bottom-
1. Kamogawa Sea World. (Not affiliated with SeaWorld the USA company.) Specifically, the whale you see watching his tank mate is called Oscar. Oscar was separated from his captive family because they believed he was too rough with them. So every day he would push himself onto the slide out to watch over his tank mates as shown above. He died earlier this year, after spending months and months alone.
2. Loro Parque. Do you remember Loro Parque being mentioned in Blackfish? The inexperienced facility that had one of their trainers killed by Keto? Well this is it. The orca you see is Tekoa. Tekoa is an extremely submissive whale and as a result of cramped conditions, he is repeatedly bullied by the two dominant females at the facility. In fact, he is so badly bullied that in ordinary circumstances, he almost appears to be stripy in appearance due to his excessive rake marks. As you can see from the picture above, his health has taken a turn for the worst and he is now emaciated.
3. Marineland Antibes. This facility is often mistaken for being one of the better captive orca facilities but do not be fooled. The tank may be large compared to other facilities but when compared to the ocean as it is in the above picture, you can see it for what it is. Orcas swim 100 miles per day but with a tank that’s only 210ft long, they would have to swim 2,514 circles just to reach their wild counter part’s. Not only that but when reading reviews of the park, it is often remarked as disgustingly dirty and outdated.
4. Marineland Ontario Kiska lives alone after SeaWorld took her only companion back. She no longer performs in shows but rather than giving her stimulation, her trainers leave her to make her own entertainment. This video explains more about where she lives than a thousand words could.
5. Miami SeaQuarium. A lot of people believe this image is photoshopped or that there must be another tank that Lolita goes to when she’s not performing. But unfortunately, this is not the case. She’s lived there for 43 after she was stolen in the Penn Cove capture. She’s not seen her own species in over a decade.
6. Mundo Marino. That’s Kshamenk. He’s a young adult male orca. He’s sexually frustrated, aggressive, unenthusiastic and is fed a diet of fish when in the wild he would consume small mammals. The tank you see above is where he spends the vast majority of his time with a few dolphins. His performing tank is not that much bigger.
7. Port Of Nagoya Aquarium. Just like Marineland Antibes, this facility is often mistaken for being one of the better ones and on the surface, it probably is the lesser of evils. However, when you look deeper, you’re faced with the reality. Port Of Nagoya, like a lot of facilities, obtains their animals from the Taiji killing cove. If you do not know what this is, please view the documentary The Cove.
8. Holding pen in Russia. The whale above, Narnia, is just one of 8 orcas who were captured in Russia. Most facilities pride themselves on the fact that they do not allow live captures but this is not one of them. Currently, Narnia and her pen mates do not have a facility to go to so they are sat in a small holding pen until it’s built. Some are to be sent to China whilst others will stay in Russia. All were torn from their parents.
So please don’t just be angry about SeaWorld. Be angry at captivity as a whole! Boycott it. Sign petitions. Protest. Tell your friends. Tell your family. Allow yourself to be angry because orca captivity is a barbaric atrocity and it ALL needs to end.
Please spread the word and keep all 52 captive orcas in your thoughts.
“The BioPen is a handheld 3D printer that can actually print bone directly onto patients during surgery.”
10 Women Google Doodles You Might Not Recognize
Google vice president Megan Smith has said she wants to use Google Doodles to highlight notable — though often overlooked — women in science and technology. But it’s not just STEM women that Google Doodles have honored in 2013, and here 10 female faces that showcase the diversity of women’s accomplishments around the world.
From top to bottom:
Maria Callas: renown American opera singer known for her impressive vocal range.
Wangari Maathai: Kenyan environmentalist, political activist and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in 2004.
Mary Leakey: Archaeologist and anthropologist who discovered the first fossilized Proconsul skull and became known as one of the world’s most distinguished fossil hunters.
Edith Head: Iconic costume designer who won eight Academy Awards during her career.
Katherine Mansfield: New Zealand modernist short fiction writer.
Maria Mitchell: American astronomer who discovered the “Miss Mitchell’s Comet” in 1847.
Maria Elena Walsh: Argentine poet, novelist and musician, most lauded for her children’s literature, which has been compared to Lewis Carroll’s “Alice in Wonderland.”
Emma Gad: Danish writer, socialite and satirist best known for her book of etiquette.
Shoshana Damari: Yemenite–Israeli singer known as the “Queen of Hebrew Music.”
Shakuntala Devi: Indian writer and child prodigy, popularly known as the “human calculator.”
QPoC Housing Resources and Initiatives: an incomplete list
Hello everyone! This is an incomplete list of LGBTQ shelters/initiatives that provide housing as well as assistance to LGBTQ PoC/ QPoC. If there are any shelters/initiatives I have left off please add them to this list, and then please let me know. While this list covers all 50 states in the U.S., please feel free to add the ones from your country, territories, or place of origin. We need as much as we can get. Thank you.
List of states in the U.S. and all Shelters (Please add more):
THE ARK OF REFUGE
The Ark of Refuge runs a 15 person transitional living facility specifically targeting LGBTQ young adults in San Francisco.
LA GENTE UNIDA
La Gente Unida is an organization serving the needs of
LGBTQ Latinas and Latinos in the Denver and Colorado
PO Box 11714
Denver, CO 80211
•District of Columbia
http://www.1800runaway.org/ (National Runaway Switchboard)
Fellowship of Lights: Runaway and Homeless Youth
Phone: (410) 285-7496
Fellowship of Lights provides emergency housing and supportive assistance for foster care involved and homeless and runaway youth, ages 12-17 in two shelter facilities, and operates after school programs for elementary and middle school aged children and youth in Baltimore City.
THE AUDRE LORDE PROJECT
The Audre Lorde Project is a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual,
Two Spirit, Trans and Gender Non-Conforming People
of Color community organizing center, focusing on the
New York City area.
85 S. Oxford Street
Brooklyn, NY 11217
147 W. 24th Street, 3rd floor
New York, NY 10011-1911
SYLVIA RIVERA LAW PROJECT
Sylvia Rivera Law Project provides free legal services to
transgender, intersex and gender nonconforming lowincome
people and people of color. It represents and
advises clients in a variety of contexts.
147 West 24th Street, 5th floor
New York, NY 10011
Toll Free: 866-930-3283 Fax: 212-337-1872
Youthworks (Bismarck-Mandan Area)
Phone: 701-255-6909 (24-hour Crisis Line)
1 877 837 1801 (toll-free)
Youthworks is a resource for homeless youth in North Dakota. The Bismarck location has a peer mediation program, a cultural achievement program, and a Turnabout program for those at risk. They also provide services to runaway and homeless youth including individual, family counseling and mediation; group counseling; attendant care; juvenile diversion; transitional housing; support groups; emergency food, clothing and shelter; advocacy; crisis intervention and emancipation preparation
Phone: 701 232 8558 (for 24-hour Crisis Line, press 2 during message)
1 877 897 1213 (toll-free)
Youthworks is a resource for homeless youth in North Dakota, with drop in-hours on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. They also provide services to runaway and homeless youth including individual, family counseling and mediation; group counseling; attendant care; juvenile diversion; transitional housing; support groups; emergency food, clothing and shelter; advocacy; crisis intervention and emancipation preparation.
•Northern Marianas Islands
WIND RIVER COUNTRY INITIATIVE FOR YOUTH
Wind River Country Initiative for Youth is an alliance of
LGBTQ and allied people of Native American and
Caucasian ancestry who work to address multiple
oppressions at the local level.
Insert Name of Country and Shelters Below:
Tumblrs dedicated to LGBTQ Housing.:
Source Citations Page and Additional Readings, Master posts, etc.
Note: These resources are lengthy and span all corners of LGBTQ homelessness. If you feel that these resources aren’t comprehensive enough, or if you would like to add your own, please let me know.
boost please. this is an incredibly useful list and hopefully some people might find it useful.
for fuck’s sake if they aren’t lesbians then you can carve ‘fancy that’ on the side of my dick
Fun fact: The creators were originally going to make these two a canon couple, but Cartoon Network threatened to pull the show from the air so all they can do is just strongly hint at their relationship
yooo everybody. my mom and i were goofing around and found this seriously FUCKED UP site. all your information, (phone number, nam, address even) is available for 2.99. like everything. please watch this video on how to remove it. (im not sure if it’s there for minors, but if you’ve ever owned/rented a house you’re definitely there. it’s worth checking it out to make sure.)
video on how to remove information. : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPFLagxnDsA
fucked up website: http://www.spokeo.com/
also, if you’ve lived in more than one place/state it has you multiple times, remove all of your profile things. (it had my mom 4 times, all over our state. even from when she lived in a house 9 years ago.)
SIGNAL BOOST THIS SHIT
YES THERE ARE MINORS ON HERE ALSO I JUST CHECKED ME AND IT HAS MY ~PERSONAL~ INFO ON THERE
This is very concerning. I just spent the last ten minutes removing my entire family (including my 14-year-old sister) from the site.
Cool Mom Tech has a guide on how to take your information off the site if for some reason you can’t watch the above video.
Just to inform everyone, it’s American only, but it’s real. I’ve found 3 of my friends already with this sight and the only reason I knew it was them was because I happen to have their address. PLEASE CONFIRM IF YOU ARE ON THIS SITE AND IF YOU ARE, REMOVE YOURSELF. NOW.
I’m screaming internally because I just searched up a handful of my friends who live in America.. and found every single one of them without fail. This is scary.
For my American followers
This is creepy as hell and completely legit. Please take the time to remove yourself from this list.
Found myself listed a few times on here. Though the info isn’t all that accurate. Definitely get yourself off this site!
ALL of my personal information was on this site. Take time to do this!! The website looked differently than the youtube video tutorial. I had to actually go into the address bar and type in “www.spokeo.com/privacy” to get to their opt out page. They had me under multiple names because my name is one that can be shortened (ex: Jennifer/Jenny/Jen/etc.) Make sure you take the time, if your name can be shortened, to make sure all of your possible names are out of there.
this is completely legit WTFFFFFFFFF